Sandpiper Bay Homeowners Association, Inc.

(Fictitious Name: Sandpiper Bay Community)

 

Board/Member Meeting Agenda

 

Date:               4/19/2021
Time:               7pm

Location:         Zoom

 

Agenda:

  1. Business meeting called to order at 7:05 pm.

 

President’s Comments:

    • We hope this is the last Zoom meeting. Next month we hope to have an in-person meeting at either the Botanical Gardens or the Saints Pub. We would like to invite other HOAs to attend. Speaker will be Kelly Boatwright to speak on changes to Wilderness Park.
    • The Saints Pub is still without a liquor license and so is still closed.
    • A complaint was lodged regarding homeless people using our SBC park for a restroom. Barry investigated.
    • A plaque was found and was placed on the park’s sign.
    • Signs about meetings placed on public property are still not allowed. Barry and Phil to take pictures of signs on public property and make a presentation to city council.

 

No speaker this month.

 

  1. Establish A Quorum (Secretary)

Present: Mr. Lee, Mrs. Lee, Mr. Millevolte, Mrs. Hitchcock, Mr. Hammer, Ms. Dunkel, Absent: Mr. Billitti, Ms. Suter

 

  1. Secretary’s Report (President)

Correction to be made: Joycelyn Tenboer (last month’s speaker) works for the St. Lucie County Public Library – not City of Port St Lucie’s Public Library.

Motion to approve the minutes as corrected: Mrs. Hitchcock

First:                Mr. Millevolte

Second:           Mrs. Lee

Vote in favor:  All

 

  1. Approve Treasurer Report (Treasurer)

Reporting Period:  3/1/2021-3/31/2021 – See Attachment A

Motion to approve Treasurer’s Report – Mrs. Hitchcock

First:                Ms. Dunkle

Second:           Mr. Millevolte

Vote in favor:  All

 

  1. Committee Reports:
  2. Events/Social (Mr. Lee)

Still looking for chairperson to coordinate events and volunteers.

SBC will be allowed one (1) night a month for activities at the Saints Pub when opened.

 

  1. Ethics (Mr. Bradley)

No activity.

 

  1. Adopt A Street/Adopt A Park (Mr. Mazjanis/Mr. Lee)

March, 2021 – 10 miles/14 5-gallon bags/10 hours

Volunteers: Ivars Mazjanis John Hitchcock, Patrick & Anna Carney, Bob Wade, Doug Mouch

 

 

  1. Civic Affairs (Mr. Millevolte/Mr. Hammer)

See Attachment B

 

  1. Community Patrol (Mr. Bradley)

Brand new car still in garage.

Have not gotten permission from the City to restart the program yet.

When it is reactivated, all volunteers must complete a refresher course.

 

  1. Guest Speakers (Mrs. Hitchcock)

May – Kelly Boatwright, Project Manager • Parks & Recreation Department to speak about the Wilderness Park project.

 

  1. Marketing (Mr. Billitti)

No report.

 

  1. Member Communications (Mr. Lee)

If anyone has any message that should be broadcast to the community members, please let Barry know to create an email blast.

 

  1. Press Relations (Mr. Lee)

No activity.

 

  1. Rules (Mr. Millevolte)

No activity.

 

  1. Social Media (Mrs. Hammer/Mrs. Black)

Mrs. Black can no longer help with Nextdoor so we are looking for someone to help with that.

Mrs. Hammer will be promoting our in-person meeting in May on Facebook.

 

  1. Technology (Ms. Pikulski)

No report

 

  1. Welcome committee (Ms. Dunkel)

Continues delivering plants. The Botanical Gardens is out of shrubs. New members are appreciative.

 

  1. Member renewal (Mr. Quaile)

Have been calling previous members regarding membership renewals

Contacting new residents and encouraging memberships.

Other HOA members are requesting that we do more social events.

 

  1. Code compliance (Mr. Armstrong/Mr. Lee)

For the month of March, Code has opened 17 cases, closed 29 cases, and issued 6 parking warnings.

As spring has begun, we have focused our attention on properties with excessive overgrowth and high grass. Our aim is to seek compliance prior to rainy season so we can limit any major issues down the road. Also, looking ahead, hurricane season is less than two months away. Staff will be addressing all properties with open storage and property maintenance issues. Our goal is to be as proactive as possible, using these two months to educate residents on the possible life-safety issue open storage poses during a named storm event.

Club Med: I have no new information regarding the golf course at this time.

 

  1. Old Business

None

 

  1. New Business

None

 

  1. Motion to Adjourn at 8:05 pm – Mrs. Hitchcock

First:                Ms. Dunkle

Second:           Mrs. Lee          Vote in favor:  All

ATTACHMENT A

Treasurer’s Report

 

Reporting Period: 3/1/2021-3/31/2021

 

TD Bank Money Market Fund Activity:

Increased to $21,766.23 due to $1.85 bank interest.

 

TD Bank Checking Account Activity:

 

Decreased $79.58 to $5,341.76 due to the following transaction:

 

Total Deposits of $490.00

            Membership:                                       $    490.00

 

 

Total Expenses of $704.30

Internet Services:                                $   139.00

Telephone:                                           $      28.71

Discount fee:                                       $        6.60

Insurance:                                            $    510.00

Marketing:                                           $      19.99

 

ATTACHMENT B

Civic Affairs Committee Report

March, 2021

The big news is that the city is proposing to improve our Wilderness Park. This will be the first step and viewed as a model effort to embrace the city’s strategic goal to provide more bicycle paths. Plans call for 40 miles of multipath sidewalk throughout the whole city. Their plan is for a trail head at the planned Port District, near the Botanical Gardens, and a multi trail loop through the Wilderness Park along with numerous other improvements to the park. They believe the plans appropriately accounts for the passive nature of the park and will be a big asset to Sandpiper Bay residents.

You will get a chance to hear about these plans at our next meeting, May 17th.  Hopefully, this will be an in-person meeting allowing you to voice your opinion on the various options in the plan.

 

Last month we reported on the open status of five action Items. This month we received a letter from the city Manager, Russ Blackburn with their resolution on those items, some of which were over a year old.

  1. Our request to signage on city right of way was denied based on interpretation of city code and we were encouraged to work with private property owners to utilize private property for any desired community signage.
  2. Our request to change the name “Sandpiper Bay Homeowners Association Park” to our new name “Sandpiper Bay Community Park” was also denied. This was based on the city’s desire to achieve national accreditation which requires standardized naming conventions. This park is classified as a Neighborhood Park, not a Community Park. The city proposes to rename the park as “Sandpiper Bay Neighborhood Park”. We think this is an affront to the 30 years contribution by our organization when the park was dedicated in 1998, and the 22 years since. Alternative recognition will be sought.
  3. Our Westmoreland Traffic Calming project, initiated by us in April 2019, was completed and recently evaluated and a memo sent to City Council on March 12 confirming its success.

 

WESTMORELAND TRAFFIC STUDIE COMPARISONS

85 percentile speed studies

LOCATION JANUARY 2021 SEPTEMBER 2019 DIFFERENCE
Bakersfield 35 37 -2
Italy 34 39 -5
Santa Anna 36 38 -2
Anchorage 38 39 -1
       
Average 35.75 38.25 2.5

The Approach to Westmoreland from the PSL Blvd area remains the largest problem. Our recommendation to improve this area has been deferred by public works until the next Westmoreland traffic study, which is not yet scheduled.

  1. Our request to beautify the utility boxes in Sandpiper Bay is being honored. Landscaping around the ATT boxes will be completed by this June or July. No word yet on the FPL boxes.
  2. Our request to place a donated park bench in the sandpiper Bay Homeowners Park has been Granted.

 

 

 

Always 10% Discount When You Show Your Sandpiper Bay Community Membership Card
(Not valid for Monday Hamburger Special)

Celebrate the grand opening of The Saints Pub on Friday, May 28 starting at 6 p.m.

Restaurant Update: Show your Sandpiper Bay Community Membership Card and receive 10% discount (Not valid for Monday Hamburger Special)

Saints Pub
Over the last few months working with the state’s governing alcohol agency, we have received the appropriate licenses for opening the restaurant, now named The Saints Pub.

On May 3, the restaurant and bar opened for service, offering limited menu options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We resumed our mobile beverage cart service on the golf course, as well. After fine-tuning operational issues to ensure that the finest service will be offered going forward, the restaurant is now fully opened for everyone’s enjoyment.

Full menu services are now offered every day, from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Happy hour is available Monday to Friday from 3- 6 p.m. and live entertainment is scheduled for Friday and Saturday evenings.

The drive-up (“Grab-n-Go”) window is a convenient way to enjoy sandwiches, coffee, fruit, danish, hot dogs, drinks and more.

You are invited to the Grand Reopening of the restaurant on Friday, May 28 at 6 p.m. with live entertainment. Golf members with a member card will receive a 10% discount on all menu items.

For more information, visit www.thesaintspub.com or call The Saints Pub at 772-281-2520.

If you have any questions, we are here to serve you.

SANDPIPER BAY COMMUNITY – Neighbors Helping Neighbors

1193 SE Port St Lucie Blvd #128, Port St Lucie, FL 34952 772 337-0151
www.sandpiperbaycommunity.org

Sandpiper Bay Homeowners Association, Inc.

(Fictitious Name: Sandpiper Bay Community)

 

Board/Member Meeting Minutes

 

Date:               5/17/2021
Time:               7pm

Location:         Botanical Gardens

 

Agenda:

 

President’s Comments:

 

On behalf of Sandpiper Bay Community, we would like to thank all of you for

joining us for a special presentation about the future of the Wilderness Park.

 

Normally we have our guest speaker first and have our monthly Board meeting

after.  Because we will have a longer Q&A after our guest, we will have a short

Board meeting first this evening.

 

As most of you, if not all, know that we are having increasing problems with

Coyotes in all of Sandpiper Bay.  Florida Fish and Wildlife contacted me about the

issue.  There have been at least 2 dogs fatally attacked in the past month as well

as many cats.  They have offered to have a Team presentation Tuesday June 1st

evening at 7:00.  I will send an invite this weekend to all SBC members. For those

of you who are not members please put an * beside your name on the sheet on

which you signed in and I will send you information as well.

 

Now we will get our Board meeting started.  Our Secretary, Connie Hitchcock, had

a shoulder operation.  She is with us via Zoom, so I will establish a quorum.

 

  1. Business meeting called to order at 7:06 pm.

 

  1. Establish A Quorum (President)

Present: Mr. Lee, Mrs. Lee, Mr. Millevolte, Mrs. Hitchcock, Mr. Hammer, Ms. Dunkel, Mr. Billitti

Absent: Ms. Suter

 

  1. Secretary’s Report (President)

Motion to approve the minutes as corrected: Mrs. Hitchcock

First:                Ms. Dunkel

Second:            Mr. Hammer

Vote in favor:  All

 

  1. Approve Treasurer Report (Treasurer)

Reporting Period:  4/1/2021-4/30/2021 – See Attachment A

Motion to approve Treasurer’s Report – Mr. Lee

First:                Ms. Dunkel

Second:            Mr. Hammer

Vote in favor:  All

 

  1. Committee Reports:
  2. Events/Social (Mr. Lee/ Ms. Dunkel)

Have started to plan for BBQ this fall. Free to members. Small charge for non-members to be applied to membership if requested.

 

  1. Ethics (Mr. Bradley)

No activity.

 

  1. Adopt A Street/Adopt A Park (Mr. Mazjanis)

Still have streets available that need volunteers.

April 2021 – 10 miles/85 gallons/12 hours

2021 total so far:  97 miles covered/325 gallons picked up/54 Hours

volunteered

Volunteers: Ivars Mazjanis John Hitchcock, Patrick & Anna Carney, Bob Wade, Doug Mouch

 

  1. Civic Affairs (Mr. Millevolte/Mr. Hammer)

See Attachment B

 

  1. Community Patrol (Mr. Bradley)

Brand new car still in garage.

Will be restarting soon.

When it is reactivated, all volunteers must complete a refresher course.

Will need more volunteers.

 

  1. Guest Speakers (Mrs. Hitchcock)

September: Richard Del Toro – Assistant Chief of Police

October: Marty Jacobson – Senior vs. Crime

 

  1. Marketing (Mr. Billitti)

More coupons have been added to new homeowner’s packets

 

  1. Member Communications (Mr. Lee)

If anyone has any message that should be broadcast to the community members, please let Barry know to create an email blast.

 

  1. Press Relations (Mr. Lee)

No activity.

 

  1. Rules (Mr. Millevolte)

No activity.

 

  1. Social Media (Mrs. Hammer/Mrs. Black)

Members in Face Book & Next Door have been growing. Karen Williams has offered to help with postings on Next Door.

 

  1. Technology (Ms. Pikulski)

No report

 

  1. Welcome committee (Ms. Dunkel)

Continues delivering plants. The Botanical Gardens is out of shrubs. New members are appreciative.

 

  1. Member renewal (Mr. Quaile)

Membership is growing, including those in other HOAs in Sandpiper.

 

  1. Code compliance (Mr. Armstrong/Mr. Lee)

For the month of April, Code has opened 21 cases, closed 16 cases, and issued 3 parking warnings.

 

Specialist Nicholas Fisher, who has been the assigned to the Sandpiper Bay Community for the past 18 months, was recently accepted to the Police Academy. As such, he has stepped down from his position in Code. On behalf of Code, I would like to thank Nick for all of the work he has done maintaining community standards as well as the professional manner with which he has carried himself. We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

 

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce Code Specialist Jordan Subryan, who will be taking over the Sandpiper Bay Community. Specialist Subryan and I will formulate a plan to ensure all of Sandpiper Bay is thoroughly swept prior to the start of summer. Our goal is to address all high grass, open storage, inoperative vehicles, exterior structure in need of maintenance, accessory structures in need of maintenance, and parking violations.

Club Med: I have no new information at this time.

  1. Old Business

None

 

  1. New Business

A member stated he couldn’t find the reports on the website. Mr. Lee assured him the information was there.

 

  1. Motion to Adjourn at 7:35 pm – Mr. Lee

First:                Mr. Millevolte

Second:            Mrs. Lee

Vote in favor:  All

 

Guest Speaker: Kelly Boatwright, Project Manager • City of Port St. Lucie, Parks & Recreation Department – to speak about the Wilderness Park project.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ATTACHMENT “A”

Treasurer’s Report

 

Reporting Period: 4/1/2021-4/30/2021

 

TD Bank Money Market Fund Activity:

Increased to $21,768.02 due to $1.79 bank interest.

 

TD Bank Checking Account Activity:

 

Increased $616.82 to $5,958.58 due to the following transaction:

 

Total Deposits of $490.00

            Membership:                                      $    315.00

Marketing:                                          $    500.00

 

Total Expenses of $704.30

Internet Services:                                $   139.00

Telephone:                                          $      19.11

Discount fee:                                       $      20.08

Marketing:                                          $      19.99

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ATTACHMENT “B”

Civic Affairs Committee Report

April, 2021

1.Westmoreland traffic calming, evaluation was completed. Speeds between Morningside and Bakersfield were reduced from 38 to 35 mph.  Speed reduction around the Anchorage, not so much, just one mph.

  1. The donation of Park Benches (per the request of one of our members) has been approved, details are still being worked out with Brad Keen, Assistant Director of Parks and Recreation.
  2. Our Neighborhood Park Planning Process has been jump started. The development of our two Neighborhood Parks, the Wilderness, and the Sandpiper Bay Homeowners Association Park, have been dormant for the last 20 years. Planning for the Wilderness Park was difficult because when it was acquired the residents insisted it be a PASSIVE park to avoid the traffic of a city destination.

Things change, the city has grown, our demographics are changing (more families) and today the city has planned a premier destination park remarkably close, called the Port District near the Botanical Gardens. In addition, in response to a city-wide survey, the city has prioritized an Active Travel Network Plan which includes Multi Use Pathways to accommodate bike traffic throughout the city. As a result of these prioritized efforts, funding is likely to be available to improve the Wilderness Park as part of the Bike Trail Network.

We are fortunate tonight to have the Project Manager, Kelly Boatwright and assistant Parks Director, Brad Keen to explain how all this fits together and give us all a chance to evaluate what is appropriate for Sandpiper Bay’s “Passive” Wilderness Park.

 

 


Sandpiper Bay Community

Executive Board Workshop

April 14, 2021  4:00 pm

Barry Lee’s house

 

 

Attending: Barry Lee, Sandy Lee, Phil Millevolte, Connie Hitchcock, Kathy Dunkel, Bev Suter

Absent: Dan Hammer, Mr. Billitti

Guests:   Frank Quaile, Sandy Pulaski

 

Zoom meeting again in April with no speaker. Short and sweet.

Dan had proposed starting the meetings at 6 pm. Consensus of board members voted to keep at 7pm.

Plan in-person meeting in May (last meeting before summer break)

Will be asking other communities is Sandpiper Bay to attend.

Maybe at Botanical Gardens or Saints Pub

Kelley Boatwright to speak about plans for Wilderness Park.

Saints Golf Course to provide coupon for new home owners. Same with Saints Pub.

Barry spoke with Joleen Carabella for several hours about concerns/ideas for SBC.

Barry found a plaque in SB park.

Barry spoke with Brad Keen about a Memorial Bench in SB park. He got approval for the bench on 4/13th.

Both Joleen and Brad encouraged SBC to present proposals for our plans for SBC to the city.

Phil got a letter from the city denying many of our requests:

  1. Radar signs will not be moved.
  2. No leasing of land for signs for SBC (Joleen suggested to complete a presentation to the city council.) (Phil and Barry will be taking pictures of signs on public property.)
  3. No wrapping of utility boxes but will be cleaning them and adding shrubbery.

Nextdoor: SBC has over 100 members on Nextdoor. Julie can’t help with it anymore. Barry is seeking someone to help.

Barry still looking for an “Events” person to let the “world know of an event” and to plan and coordinate volunteers.

Still need a chair for volunteers – Beth will do.

She will send Barry a note about adding to new members on enrollment form about area of interests/games/etc.

A member complained that he was not seeing the Treasurer’s report. Posted on SBC website.

Sandy to provide a synopsis of any difference in current and previous month’s reports.

Barry will send the code compliance and adopt-a-street reports to Connie to include in meeting minutes.

For new residents: have volunteers knock on doors (September?) to welcome to neighborhood and invite to picnic/BBQ in October. Kathy and Connie will assist with planning of picnic/BBQ.

Need team leaders to coordinate knocking on doors.

Barry needs ideas for email blasts.